This full-time program is for internationally educated learners whose first language is not English. The program provides learners with the strategies and English language skills needed to succeed in academic courses at Canadian post-secondary institutions.
For information in multiple languages about our ELL programs, visit Apply-ell.
Learners receive instruction in reading, writing, listening and speaking in an academic context. In addition to developing the four language strands, learners will:
- Record and organize information accurately from spoken and written texts and articulate this in other contexts
- Interact, communicate and work collaboratively with confidence in an academic setting
- Integrate technology into learning
- Recognize and implement the steps necessary to meet academic and/or career goals
- Begin to acquire and practise the intercultural communicative competencies needed to succeed in Canada
There are three levels to this program. Acceptance and initial placement in the program is determined by scores achieved on an initial assessment.
Successful completion of the program allows learners to meet the English language proficiency requirements needed to enter most career programs at Bow Valley College or SAIT.
- Successful completion of the EAP entrance test
- Minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) levels: 6,6,6,6
"I have improved my English a lot because now I can understand and speak better with other people...this is a very good program."
Program Start Dates:
May 3, 2017
August 30, 2017
Monday to Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Calgary, Downtown Campus
For detailed information about the application process, see:
ELL Program Information
For information about ELL programs in a variety of languages, see:
Welcome to English Language Learning at Bow Valley College